Finding somewhere to live

There are many different housing options available and ways to find a home, as well as the adaptions and equipment that can help people to stay independent in their home. It is important that you start to think about:

  • where you might want to live
  • whether you want to live with anyone else or by yourself
  • what sort of things you want to do in the community
Social housing

Anyone over 16 years old (certain conditions apply when allocating a tenancy to an applicant under the age of 18) and in need of housing can apply for council housing.

You start by making an application to join the Housing Register. You will join a waiting list, but this does not guarantee that you will get a property. We have produced a short video which explains how to make an application.

Private renting

This means renting from someone who owns a property.

They usually rent it out so they can make money. They are called private landlords and can be a:

  • company that owns lots of properties
  • person or family who owns one or more properties
  • charity or group who just rent properties to disabled people.
  • Private landlords advertise their properties in these places:
  • a letting agency or an estate agent
  • an advert in the local newspaper
  • on a sign outside the property
  • on the internet
  • on a shop noticeboard

The main housing section on Central Bedfordshire Council's website has advice and support for renting privately.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing provides a higher level of support than sheltered housing but still allows you to retain some privacy, and remain as independent as possible.

In extra care housing you have your own flat but you also have support staff on duty in the building 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You will usually receive support at particular times of the day depending on your needs, and will have a support plan which is agreed between you and the support staff, but will have the added reassurance of knowing that there is always someone around.


Homeshare is when a disabled person invites someone to live with them in return for some support. The 'homesharer' has their own room in the householder's property. They give support with things like cooking or socialising.

Home ownership

This is when you borrow money to buy a house and pay the money back over many years through a mortgage. You can also use your savings. You could inherit a home which could be yours alone or it could be left to you and your family.


There is a scheme in operation called HOLD that stands for Home Ownership for people with Long-term Disabilities.

This is a way that someone with a disability can own their own home. It is run by some Housing Associations, which are Registered Social Landlords.

The disabled person finds a property they would like to buy. The Housing Association buys the property, so the disabled person only deals with them.

The Housing Association sells part of the property to the disabled person. They might be able to buy more of it in the future.

They rent the other part from the Housing Association, who looks after things like repairs and making sure the property is in good condition.

Shared ownership

This is when a Housing Association owns part of your home and you own the rest. You have to pay rent to the Housing Association for the part you do not own and pay the mortgage for the part you do own.

Accommodation for Adults in Need of Care and Support

In Central Bedfordshire, there is a range of accommodation-based care and support for people with disabilities.

More information can be found on our Accommodation for Adults in Need of Care and Support page