Help to live at home

Sometimes your property may need changing to help you move about and use your home safely and independently.

For example:

  • access in and out of your home (e.g. a wheelchair ramp)
  • access to specific rooms such as the toilet, bath or shower or a wash basin
  • ceiling hoists
  • stair lifts
  • widening doorways so that you can use a wheelchair
  • replacing your bath or shower unit with a level-access shower, or changing your toilet
  • adding a downstairs toilet so that you don't have to keep using the stairs
  • installing low level kitchen units
Equipment (aids) in your home

Specialist equipment is available which will allow you to move around safely and independently.

This can help you:

  • get washed
  • get dressed
  • with cooking
  • with moving round your home
Technology (aids) to help you in your home

There are many types of technology and equipment available to help you remain living safely, comfortably, and independently in your home. These can range from activity monitors and medication reminders, to personal alarms and much more.

This type of support is known as technology enabled care (TEC), which is also known as assistive technology or telecare.

Why have TEC in your home?

TEC can help you to:

  • live at home safely, securely, and independently for longer
  • manage your care in a way that is right for you
  • allow early intervention to avoid deterioration in your health and improve your quality of life
  • reduce the risk of unplanned hospital entry through falls or accidents
  • reduce or delay your need for long-term residential care
  • provide support and reassurance to you, your family, friends, and carers

How does TEC work?

TEC works through the installation of a range of different sensors in your home via a control box to a monitoring centre that is there to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Sensors can be set up and programmed in a wide variety of ways. For example, if a person was at risk of falling when getting out of bed a sensor could be installed to alert a responder if this happened. If a person was forgetful then the system could remind them to take medication or check whether doors had been left open or taps left running. 

These are just a few examples. TEC is developing all the time and new products are becoming available to help people live more safely and independently.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are for people who are or could be, registered disabled. You can use this money to make adaptations to your home to help you live more independently.

If you have a disabled child (anyone under 16 years old) or a disabled young person who is under 19 and in full-time education living with you, you are also entitled to a grant.

Find out more at GOV.UK – Disabled Facilities Grants

There is also more information on Central Bedfordshire Council's website.