Disagreement Resolution, Mediation and Tribunals

Wherever possible, Central Bedfordshire Council and its health partners will try and resolve issues or areas of disagreement by meeting and talking.

However, we accept that sometimes it isn’t possible to reach a resolution without the help of a third party. This section provides information on the next steps that can be taken if this is the case.

Disagreement Resolution and Mediation

Decisions about provision for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) should be made as soon as possible. However, where agreement cannot be reached, early resolution of disagreements is beneficial. 

Mediation Services can be accessed where a decision has been made by a Local Authority:

  • not to carry out an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment
  • not to draw up an EHC Plan
  • not to amend an EHC Plan
  • to cease to maintain an EHC Plan

We currently commission KIDS Mediation Service to deliver an independent mediation and disagreement resolution service. 


If you are not in agreement with a decision that the Local Authority has made in relation to your (or your child’s) SEND, you can appeal against it to the First -tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability).  This is part of a system of courts which will make a decision on appeals or claims regarding a child’s or young person’s Special educational needs or disability.

You have the right to appeal to the First Tier Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal if you have either:

  • not reached an agreement following Mediation
  • decided not to take part in Mediation

You can find more information on appealing on the GOV.UK website.

Please note that you must contact or use mediation or disagreement resolution before appealing to the SEND Tribunal.