Money Matters

If you have a disabled child or young person, you or your young person may be entitled to national and local financial support. 

The information below provides advice about your rights and entitlements, tips on managing your money and who to talk to if you need support. 

Disability Living Allowance for children

Disability Living Allowance for children can help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or
  • needs extra looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability
  • meets all the eligibility requirements

The rate depends on the level of support the child needs and they may need an assessment to work out what help they require.

Help and support

Citizens Advice has a self-help guide on how to apply for DLA.

The Disability Resource Centre can make an appointment with a benefits adviser who can give more specific advice and help with form filling.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

To make a claim

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim.

DWP - Personal Independence Payment claims

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You will be asked for your:

  • contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you will need to be with them when they call.

Help and support

Citizens Advice has more information and can help with applying for PIP.

The Disability Resource Centre can give more specific advice and help with form filling.

Carers Allowance, Grants and Discounts

Carers Allowance

If you care for your disabled child for more than 35 hours per week, you may be able to claim for Carer's Allowance if they receive:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate

Find out if you're eligible.

Carers Discount Card

Unpaid carers in Bedfordshire can benefit from an exclusive card scheme that gives them access to a range of discounts at some local and national businesses.

Carers can show their photo identity card at more than 90 participating businesses including bakeries, restaurants, pharmacies, hair and beauty salons, clothes shops, taxis, holidays and leisure, law firms. 

For more information about the discount card, please contact Carers in Beds on 0300 111 1919, by email or read more about the discount card.

Carers Grant

If you provide substantial care as an unpaid carer, a carers grant can enable you to take up a break, activity, service or training that will improve your health or wellbeing. As a carer registered with Carers in Bedfordshire, you can apply for a grant online through their website or by post.

For more information and how to apply visit the Carers in Bedfordshire website.

Max Card

The Max Card provides free access to attractions for looked after children, children with disability or complex needs, their friends and family. The card is valid for two years and gives free entry for 2 children and 2 adults. Search over 245 venues on Max Card's website. Find out more information and apply for a card via the SNAP Parent Carer Forum.

CEA Card

The CEA Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema.  The Card is also one way for cinemas to make sure they look after their disabled guests. If you require an adjustment to visit a cinema because of your disability, cinema staff should make them for you whether you have a CEA Card or not. More information and how to apply can be found on the CEA Card website.

Find out more about allowances, credits, Council Tax reductions and carers parking permits on the support for carers page.

Direct payments

For Children

Direct payments have been set up to give people with parental responsibility for a disabled child the entitlement to receive money to pay for services themselves, instead of having us arrange it for them on their behalf.

More information about Direct Payments for children can be found in our Social Care and Early Help section.  

For Adults

More information can be found on Central Bedfordshire Council's website.

Universal Credit

If your child is disabled or has a long-term health condition, you might be able to claim the disabled child element as part of your Universal Credit payment.  The rate of disabled child element you get will depend on the rate of Disabled Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you’re getting for them.

You’ll get the higher rate if your child is:

  • already getting the DLA higher rate care component
  • already getting the PIP enhanced daily living component, or
  • registered blind.

You’ll get the lower rate if your child is getting all other rates of DLA or PIP.

If you’re claiming DLA or PIP for a sick or disabled child, the amount you’re getting can affect your Universal Credit payment.

More information about Universal Credit.

Grants and Discounts

Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grant - can help provide safe access into and around the home. You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the cost of making adaptations to your home - depending on your situation, including your financial circumstances. The maximum grant available to individuals is £30,000.

Warm Home Discount Scheme - you could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.  Check if you are eligible on the Gov.UK website.

Reduced Council Tax

You may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill if any of the following apply to your home:

  • you have an extra bathroom or kitchen to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • you have a room specifically used or adapted for the disabled person
  • the disabled person uses a wheelchair inside the home

You will go down one band, even if you are in Band A. This can sometimes be difficult to demonstrate. Do appeal if necessary.

Telephone: 0300 300 8306 and state which area you live in, or visit the 'Disabled person's band reduction page on Gov.UK website.

Browse by category