Vision Impairment Service
The Vision Impairment Service supports children and young people (CYP) with a vision impairment who live in or attend a setting in Central Bedfordshire and who meet the National Sensory Impairment Partnership (NatSIP) eligibility criteria. It supports colleagues in special educational needs and mainstream settings to provide access to learning and play in the early years and to the curriculum throughout education. Prior to reaching school age, support and advice is offered via home visits.
The team consists of three Specialist Teachers of Children and Young People with Vision Impairment, three Specialist Teaching Assistants and a Specialist Resource Officer/Technician and a further Specialist Resource Officer. All members of the team work peripatetically across Central Bedfordshire.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Jane Braithwaite
- Contact Position
- Qualified Teacher of Children and Young People with Vision Impairment
- 0300 300 8038 0300 300 8038
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Most referrals to the team are made by ophthalmologists or via local health services. The team maintains good links with eyecare professionals, mobility officers, orthoptists and other vision impairment services.
Any professional (working with the CYP), school, pre-school, parent or carer can make a referral to the service:
- download a visual impairment referral form (you may need to get Adobe Reader to fill the form in)
- complete all sections and sign it
- send it, along with details of vision impairment (i.e. recent clinic letter), by email to email@example.com; note: email is not secure, so please ensure you take all appropriate precautions to protect any personal information.
Last updated: 14/07/2023